Authored By: Amanda Unterreiner
We hope you’ve had a little extra time to prepare home-cooked meals lately, so once a month we’re sharing one of our teams’ family recipes and employee favorites with you.
It’s fall, and Halloween is just around the corner. As we start to get that slight chill in the air, what better way to warm up than with a bowl of Pumpkin Chili to get you in a cozy fall mood?
“This recipe came from my love of all things pumpkin during the fall. The flavor of pumpkin is not obvious in the chili; it is more a very comforting and familiar spice. I love this cozied up in the fall, especially on those first nights when it is just getting good and chilly outside. Isn’t that what chili was made for?”
- Rebecca Stottlemyer, Executive Client Manager II
From our kitchen to yours:
- 2 lbs of ground beef
- 1 large onion
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 15 oz can kidney beans, drained
- 15 oz can black beans, drained
- 46 oz can tomato juice
- 28 oz can peeled and diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook beef until brown; drain.
- Stir in onion and bell pepper, and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in beans, tomato juice, diced tomatoes and pumpkin puree.
- Season with pumpkin pie spice, chili powder and sugar.
- Simmer 1 hour.
Photo Credit: citalliance, 123rf.com