Authored By: Amanda Unterreiner
We hope you’ve had a little extra time to prepare home-cooked meals lately, so once a month we’re sharing one of our teams’ family recipes and employee favorites with you. For August, we’d like to share Shirley’s Meatballs recipe with you.
Shirley’s Meatballs are one of the Advocate Capital team’s favorite recipes. If Shirley Johnson, Controller II, walks in with a crockpot to any employee event or club meeting, everyone is hoping she’s brought in her famous meatballs.
“Ask the Advocate Capital Book Club, these meatballs are a hit.”
From our kitchen to yours:
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 onion soup mix package
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Break up ground chuck in large mixing bowl.
- Combine dry ingredients, eggs, onion, soy sauce, garlic, and water.
- Fold into ground chuck until well mixed.
- Roll mixture into balls.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Shirley’s Meatball Sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup chili sauce (ketchup may be used instead)
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 Tbsp prepared dry mustard
- Mix sauce ingredients together in a bowl.
- When meatballs are cooked, add to sauce.
Photo Credit: Brent Hofacker, 123rf.com