Do you ever review a spreadsheet and highlight information that is important to you or pertinent to a current project?
In Excel, this function is called Conditional Formatting and it is available right on the home tab.
Let’s say you want to highlight any amounts in your spreadsheet that are between $1,000 and $10,000.
- Highlight the area you want to search, for example, the entire spreadsheet or just a column or row.
- Click Conditional Formatting
- Select Highlight Cell Rules and then click between
- Enter $1,000 in the first box and $10,000 in the second box
- The last drop-down box will allow you to choose which colors you would like to use to highlight the field or text
- Hit OK.
That’s it! The spreadsheet is now highlighted for easier readability!
Note: There are several functions that can be performed with this feature, you can filter data by greater than or less than, top 10%, etc.
If you are an Advocate Capital customer and need help preparing or manipulating data in the Excel application, feel free to contact me at BHardison@AdvocateCapital.com.
We love feedback from our customers and implement suggestions often. What shortcut do you use the most? If you have a question or idea for an Excel tip that you would like to see, let me know and I might write about it!
Photo Credit: Sebnem Ragiboglu