Authored By: Rachel Markin
A popular health and wellness trend could harm you. Himalayan rock salt lamps have been a hot item online and in stores across the country, but now officials are warning the lamp’s “dimmer switch and/or outlet plug can overheat and ignite, posing shock and fire hazards.”
As reported in the Healthy Food House blog, the Consumer Product Safety Commission has recalled more than 80,000 “Lumière” brand lamps sold at Michael’s stores and on Amazon.
The lamps are made from pink salt blocks, which some claim have multiple health benefits including the ability to purify the air in your home and the reduction of allergy and asthma symptoms. While the wellness benefits have been disputed, the lamps continue to be a growing fad.
The safety commission’s recall will cover the Lumière “Basket of Rocks”, “Carnival of Lights” and “Rock of Gibraltar” lines, which have reportedly overheated and ignited. The lamps were sold at Michael’s between July 2016 and November 2016, and also have been sold on Amazon. Customers are advised to check the barcodes of their lamps, stop using the lamps immediately and return the product.
Michael’s has promised customers a full refund, releasing a statement that said, “The safety and well-being of our customers is our top priority and we have taken immediate steps to remove this product from our stores, inventories, and supply chain. We apologize to anyone who have been affected by this situation and are providing full refunds.”
For more information about the Lumière Himalayan rock salt lamp recall, visit the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s website or call Michaels at 1-800-642-4235.
Photo Credit: Fabio Alcini