Advocate Capital Inc. congratulates Sam Aguiar, Lonita Baker, and the team at Sam Aguiar Injury Lawyers on a historic settlement with the City of Louisville Police Department. Sam and Lonita represented Breonna Taylor’s family in a wrongful-death lawsuit against the City of Louisville. The $12 million settlement is one of the largest in the country’s history for a police killing of a black woman.
Sam and Lonita have worked closely with the family of Breonna Taylor to seek the truth, justice and reform. In addition to the historic $12 million settlement, the City of Louisville agreed to make the following changes:
- Written commanding officer approval of all search warrants and all risk assessment matrix forms
- Early action warning system to identify officers with potential red flags
- Mandatory EMS/paramedic presence for all forced entry search warrants
- Overhaul of processes for simultaneous search warrants
- Commitment to increase officer drug and alcohol testing
- Elimination of “closed by exception” options for investigations against officers simply due to resignation, retirement or terminations
- Requirement that two officers record on body camera the counting, sealing and processing of all seized currency
- Officers will be compensated up to two hours per pay period for community service performed
- The police department will explore incentives for officers to live within Louisville
- The city will hire social workers to work with the police department
Advocate Capital Inc. is proud to support Sam, Lonita, and their team as they fight to hold cities, corporations, and others accountable for the harms they cause others.
Director, Client Management Services