Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the Board of Directors
Since 2000, Mr. Swanson has been Chief Executive Officer, a member of the Credit Committee and a Member of the Board of Directors of Advocate Capital, Inc. Also, he presently serves as the Chairman of the Board of Directors.
His daily role at Advocate covers a wide range of activities including client relations, strategic planning, credit underwriting, marketing and public relations.
Since 1999, Mr. Swanson has also been President and a Member of Wellgen Standard LLC, a private equity firm.
Prior to Wellgen and Advocate, Mr. Swanson was Vice President and General Manager of Champion America, Inc. He held a variety of positions at Champion from 1989 until its sale in 1999 to Brady Corporation, Milwaukee, WI (BRC:NYSE).
In the Spring 2011 edition, The Trial Lawyer magazine published Mr. Swanson’s article entitled “About That Loan…”. View a PDF version of that article. The Trial Lawyer magazine is a publication of The National Trial Lawyers.
Mr. Swanson is the author of How David Beats Goliath: Access to Capital for Contingent-Fee Law Firms. This book is a definitive, common-sense read that explains how contingent-fee law firm funding works, who provides it, what it costs, and how law firms can acquire and use it efficiently.
Mr. Swanson is also a member in good standing of the American Society of Trial Consultants (ASTC).
Mr. Swanson attended The Ohio State University and Cleveland State University.
In addition to his responsibilities at Advocate Capital, Inc., Mr. Swanson has been a lecturer at seminars and CLE programs nationwide, focusing on financial management and operational excellence at trial law firms. Learn more about Mr. Swanson’s presentations. Below is a listing of his past and upcoming engagements:
- Framing Your Case for Today’s Jurors: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 1pm CST
- “7 Tips to Help Fund Your Next Vacation” Living Safer Vol. 11, Ed. 2 (July 2019)
- “Money and Marriage Ten Tips for Sharing Your Finances” Living Safer Vol. 11, Ed. 1 (March 2019)
- “5 Financial New Year’s Resolutions” Living Safer Vol. 10, Ed. 4 (January 2019)
- “How To Choose The Best Financial Advisor For Your Goals” Living Safer Vol. 10, Ed. 3 (December 2018)
- “Smart Phone Apps to Better Your Personal Finances“ Living Safer Vol. 10, Ed. 2 (July 2018)
- “The Financial ABCs of Preparing for Retirement” Living Safer Vol. 10, Ed. 1 (March 2018)
- “Why It Is Smart to Have a Good Credit Score” Living Safer Vol. 9, Ed. 4 (January 2018)
- “5 Reasons Why You Need an Emergency Fund” Living Safer Vol. 9, Ed. 2 (July 2017)
- “5 Steps to Gaining Financial Freedom for You and Your Family” Living Safer Vol. 9, Ed. 1 (April 2017)
- “About that Loan…” The Trial Lawyer Vol. 1, Number 11 (June 2011)
Prior Accreditations / Presentations
- Protecting Your Law Firm from Fraud
- The AdvoTrac® Case Expense Funding Service
- Choosing the Right Retirement Plan for Your Law Firm
- Proper Accounting of Case Expenses for Tax Purposes
- Co-Hosted IB Summit Webinar “Managing Your Growing Law Firm for Success”
- How To Grow Your Personal Injury Law Firm The RIGHT Way
- 9 Hidden Costs of Self-funding Your Case Expenses
- Learn Law Finance 101
- Law Firm Finance 101 & Protecting Medicare and Medicaid Interests in P.I. Settlements, Online Webinar
- Personal Injury Lawyers Marketing & Management Association (PILMMA)
- M&L Meeting (Private)
- Louisiana Workers’ Advocates (Chapter of WILG)
- State of Louisiana MCLE.
- Bisnar | Chase Mastermind Meeting, Huntington Beach, CA
- UNLV William S. Boyd School of Law, Las Vegas, NV
- CAL-ABOTA November CLE Meeting, Oahu, HI.
- Public Justice Speaker Series, Online Webinar