Authored By: Candace Whitman
We hope you’ve had a little extra time to prepare home-cooked meals lately, so once a month we’re sharing one of our teams’ family recipes and employee favorites with you.
Tina’s mac & cheese bake is a delicious way to enjoy a homemade classic.
“This house favorite makes a wonderful side dish. Save the extra cheese sauce to pour over leftovers.”
- Tina Burns, Vice President
From our kitchen to yours:
Tina’s Homemade Mac & Cheese
- ½ box large elbow macaroni noodles
- 16 oz Colby Jack blocks of cheese, grated (3 cups for the cheese sauce, remaining cheese as a topping)
- 3 cups of milk
- 6 Tbsp of flour
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook and drain the noodles. Pour them into a greased 8” x 8” glass baking pan.
- Over low heat, mix the milk, flour, salt, and nutmeg.
- Use a whisk to blend the dry ingredients with the milk.
- On medium heat, use the whisk to constantly stir the milk mixture for a few minutes until hot and thick.
- Once hot and thick, remove from heat and add three cups of cheese. Stir with a whisk until the cheese melts.
- Pour cheese sauce over noodles until all noodles are completely coated plus a little more.
- Then top the noodles with remaining grated cheese until covered. Sprinkles with salt and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes.