How successful is your firm in creating new business during the COVID-19 pandemic?
Elise Holtzman, the founder of The Lawyer’s Edge, offers advice to law firms on ways to develop and adapt their approach to business development during the pandemic. Elise recently wrote an article for Law 360 encouraging firms to evaluate their methods of business development.
In the article, she offers the following tips:
- Be proactive about business development. Evaluate the firm’s business development culture. Is it time for an attitude adjustment?
- Adopt a growth mindset while remaining sensitive and empathetic to your prospects and clients’ needs
- Make relationship and business development part of the fabric of the firm
- Promote different goals at different stages
- Create clear and compelling incentives for associates
- Celebrate business development activity, not just results
- Invest in ongoing programming, training, and coaching for all
- Stop Hoping, Start Planning
In the article, Elise also encourages firms to use the pandemic as an opportunity to refresh their approach:
“The global coronavirus crisis has caused tremendous personal pain, grief, and loss in addition to wreaking havoc on the economy. It may seem strange, then, to look at the pandemic as an opportunity. And yet, it’s often in the midst of difficulty that leaders have the chance to revisit their organization’s vision and values. Now is the time to start making behavioral and policy changes that will benefit the firm and those it serves, including partners, employees, clients, and the community.”
To read more of Elise’s expert analysis article in Law360, click here.
Elise Holtzman, JD, PCC, the founder of The Lawyer’s Edge, guides lawyers to grow and sustain thriving law firms by helping them become skilled at and comfortable with business development, practice management, and law firm leadership.
- A Columbia Law School grad and experienced lawyer
- A consultant and certified professional coach with 12 years of experience working exclusively with lawyers and law firms
- A frequent speaker for bar associations and other legal organizations, including ABA Women Rainmakers, the NY State Bar Association, and the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity
- The author of articles on business development and other topics in publications including the New York Law Journal, Law360, and the ABA’s GP Solo Magazine
- The host of The Lawyer’s Edge podcast
Advocate Capital Inc. is thankful for our law firm clients, and experts like Elise Holtzman, for the hard work and support they provide to their clients and communities during these challenging times.
Director, Client Management Services