Recently, the IRS informed taxpayers that a phone scam continues throughout the country.
The IRS published five easy ways to spot suspicious calls:
- Call you about taxes you owe without first mailing you an official notice.
- Demand that you pay taxes without giving you the opportunity to question or appeal the amount they say you owe.
- Require you to use a specific payment method for your taxes, such as a prepaid debit card.
- Ask for credit or debit card numbers over the phone.
- Threaten to bring in local police or other law-enforcement groups to have you arrested for not paying.
The IRS’ article also provides tips on what to do should you receive one of these phone calls. To read the entire publication, please click here.
Kelly A. O’Leary, CPA, CGMA, MBA, CITP, CIA, CFE
Vice President, Finance and Administration