The federal tax filing deadline for extension filers is quickly approaching on October 15, 2013. Many have raised questions regarding the impact of the recent Government Shutdown on this deadline. Here’s some relevant information regarding the recent Shutdown and its impact on the IRS and taxpayers:
• IRS operations and services are limited until further notice.
- The October 15th deadline for extension filers remains in effect.
- E-filed returns will continue to be automatically processed by IRS computer systems.
- Returns filed on paper will be considered filed on the mailing date, but will not be processed until the IRS’ operations are fully restored.
- All tax payments are still being accepted.
- Tax payment deadlines are still in effect.
- No refunds will be issued until government operations resume.
- No IRS phone support is being offered during the Shutdown.
- The IRS website will remain online, but certain online tools may not function.
Kelly A. O’Leary, CPA, CGMA, MBA, CITP, CIA
Vice President, Finance and Administration
Photo Credit: efile989 via Flickr